Although iPods provide a value-added benefit “beyond the classroom” this posting will focus on creating new venues in which learning takes place with the tool and supporting applications.
What Other Institutions are Doing
- Abilene Christian University 2009-10 Mobile -Learning Report – Report on two years of research and exploration into mobile technology at ACU
- Apple + Ipods @GCSU – Site provides links to course related projects.
- Extending the Classroom Experience (with iPads) – A Journalism 100 class at Keene State University in New Hampshire gives iPads a try as a way to extend the classroom experience and evaluate the iPad as a teaching and learning tool.
- Indiana University – Overview of the 2010 Faculty Learning Communities: Exploring innovative teaching and learning with the Apple iPad project at Indiana University
- iPads for Education: Three Classroom Experiences -Program summary of faculty workshop hosted by the Center for Innovative Teaching and Learning at Indiana University Bloomington (pdf).
- Loyola Marymount University iPEP – Overview of the faculty iPad exploration project at Loyola.
- Oklahoma State University iPad Study – Study conducted during the Fall 2010 and published May 2011
- University of Richmond teaching with IPod Program
- It’s the Pedagogy, Stupid: Lessons from an iPad Lending Program – By Heather Beattey Johnston and Carolyn J. Stoll, University of Cincinnati — May 17, 2011
- iPads for Scholars: What’s on Your iPad? – Center for Teaching and Learning; UVM blog
General Teaching Resources
- PDF Expert – http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/pdf-expert-fill-forms-annotate/id393316844?mt=8
- GoDocs – http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/godocs-for-google-docs-google/id348792440?mt=8 use to manage Google docs and Google drive
- Slide Shark – http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/slideshark-powerpoint-presentations/id471369684?mt=8 use to view and share PowerPoint presentations on the iPad
- Dictamus – http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/dictamus-dictate-send/id305870342?mt=8 dictation software
- AirSketch (Paid Version) – http://www.qrayon.com/home/airsketch/ application turns an iPad into a wireless whiteboard that can display and interact with PDFs and images.
- Conference Pad – http://www.regularrateandrhythm.com/conference-pad/ Allows one iPad (instructor) to control what images other iPads or iPhones in the room see.
- doceri – http://doceri.com/ Turns a iPad into an interactive whiteboard station.
- Pages – http://www.apple.com/ipad/from-the-app-store/apps-by-apple/pages.html word-processing software
- Mobile Apps from the U. S. Government
Science & Medicine
Online News Sources
- Science Faculty to enhance first-year learning with iPads – University of Adelaide
- Administering a Gross Anatomy Exam Using Mobile Technology: How one medical school made the switch from paper to paperless – eLearn, Volume 2011 Issue 2
Peer Reviewed Journals
- The iPad: Gadget or Medical Godsend? – Annals of Emergency Medicine, Volume 56, Issue 1, July 2010, Pages A21-A22
- Molecular Builder for iPad – http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/imolecular-builder-for-ipad/id412126537?mt=8 application lets users view, edit and build molecules in 3D.
- Epocrates – http://www.epocrates.com/index.html “mobile drug reference resource” (free)
- 3D Medical – http://applications.3d4medical.com/apps.html interactive tools for studying anatomical structures. View the video on the right side of the screen for an overview of the heart module.(price varies by module type)
- Molecules – http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/molecules/id284943090?mt=8
- Convert Units – http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/convert-units-for-free/id337224035?mt=8&ign-mpt=uo%3D4 (free)
- PubMed on Tap – http://www.referencesontap.com/ allows you to search and display PubMed information on the iPad.
Blogs & Articles
- iPad as an Insurance Business Platform? – Insurance Networking News; Jul/Aug2010, Vol. 13 Issue 8, p19-19, 1p
- The next big enterprise business tool: the iPad? – Enterprise Innovation; Feb/Mar2010, Vol. 6 Issue 1, p39-39, 1/2p
- Time for MBAs to start talking the tablets – Financial Times. London (UK): Feb 14, 2011. pg. 12
Teaching in the Arts
- Adobe Nav for Photoshop CS5 – with NAV and a network connection between your iPad and desktop/laptop you can customize iPad tools and share files with others.
- Color Lava – custom color mixing tool for iPad
- Eazel – use your fingertips to draw and then send the drawings to Photoshop application on your desktop/laptop
Online News Sources
- What the iPad 2 Means for Mobile Music Production – Author: Edward James Bass
Source: The Next Web
- When is Creativity “Authentic”? Making Music on the iPad
- GarageBand for the iPad ($4.99)
The art displayed in this slideshow was created solely using the Brushes App for the iPad/iPhone/iTouch.
- Brushes – http://www.brushesapp.com/ a painting application for the iPad/iPhone. View the video to the right to see what can be done with the application ($7.99)
- Strip Designer – http://www.mexircus.com/Strip_Designer/index.html use to create personal comic strips on iPad/iPhone using photos from photo album or iPhone/iPad2 camera. Tool can be used for digital storytelling projects. ($2.99)
- Penultimate – http://www.cocoabox.com/penultimate application provides electronic notebooks for notes and drawings. ($1.99)
- Diigo – http://www.diigo.com/ web-based digital library application that allows the user to access and highlight bookmarked webpages, upload pictures and share resources. (free)
- WolframAlpha – http://products.wolframalpha.com/ipad/ application provides a knowledge base that can be searched with free-form natural language.
- Papers – http://www.mekentosj.com/papers/touch/ application allows you to create a mobile library of the scientific articles.
Online News Sources
- Annotating the Web with Diigo on the iPad – Author: Mark Sample — Publisher: The Chronicle of Higher Education
- Top 20 iPad Apps to Help You Write a Research Paper – Source: Dr. Blog, Ph.D.